User login

How many types of Grammar are there in Sanskrit

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
CryptBala
CryptBala's picture
How many types of Grammar are there in Sanskrit

Hi Team,

I started to learn sanskrit few years ago. but due to circumstances I am unable to continue. During that little precious time I remember my Guru told me that there are 10 different types of grammar available in sanskrit and Lord Hanuman knows all of them. But today we use pannini grammar. So the question is what happened to the rest of the 9 types of grammar (hope i heard him correctly i vaugly remember this since its been a long time).

Rahul
Rahul's picture
There is just one Sanskrit
There is just one Sanskrit grammar. There are no types. 

There are dasha lakaara-s or 10 tenses/moods in Sanskrit grammar - it might be that reference to the number 10
Uma Narayanan
Uma Narayanan's picture
Sanskrit
There is only one Sanskrit grammar but Vedic Sanskrit like chanting and लौकिकSanskrit  practical
language is different.
Uma Narayanan
Uma Narayanan's picture
sanskrit
Yes there is only   one Sanskrit Grammar but there are two types of Sanskrit languages वैदिकं  for chanting mantras and Loukic लौकिकं for speaking etc.
a.r. juna
a.r. juna's picture
In my understanding, Sanskrit
In my understanding, Sanskrit proper is the newer form of the Vedic language, so to speak, based on aSTaadhyaayii of PaaNini.
The latter is called just Vedic in English, or Vedic "Sanskrit". Here in Finland, it's called muinais-intia (ancient Indic). IMHO, in many respects, Sanskrit is a simplified form of the Vedic language, sometimes with all too many long samaasas (compound words), perhaps to avoid remembering the sometimes rather complicated saMdhis and nominal suffixes?? -  - Jaya Gurudeva, guru of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (maharSi mahesh yogii?).