User login

Learning Sanskrit as a non-Indian language speaker

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nelson Ho
Nelson Ho's picture
Hello,

I have been interested in learning Sanskrit, but I do not know any Indian languages.
Though I know that these courses are taught in English, are these courses for me? What should a non Indian language speaker do to get himself prepared?
Rahul
Rahul's picture
Hello Nelson,

It will be better if you spend some time learning Devanagari script and basic Sanskrit vocabulary before subscribing to these video courses.

- The first step should be to learn Devanagari Script which is used to write Sanskrit 
Learn how to identify the letters and their pronunciation
This youtube video series can help https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzKbnydlhPI7Ysi75YJsF38eLQbse7Ts
- Learn simple Sanskrit words. You can even do this as you watch tutorials. http://spokensanskrit.de is a good resource 

If you wish to learn from a personal tutor on Skype, you can simple register for the Live Class program at Open Pathshala, where you can get tailor made curriculum for you - http://openpathshala.com/live-class

Hope it helps!
Pompamazumdar
Pompamazumdar's picture
Learning to read and speak in Sankrant
Hi I m keen to read and speak in Sankrant. What r the formalities for enrolment?
Pompamazumdar
Pompamazumdar's picture
Hi I m keen to read and speak in Sankrant. What r the formalities for enrolment?
Pompamazumdar
Pompamazumdar's picture
Pompamazumdar
Pompamazumdar's picture
Learning to read and speak in Sanskrit
Hi Keen to learn Sanskrit and pronouce it properly.
Rahul
Rahul's picture
There aren't any per
There aren't any per-requisites for learning Sanskrit. Apart from being familiar with Devanagari script if you need to read Sanskrit.

Learning to speak Sanskrit requires different approach than learning to read and understand Sanskrit texts.

For being able to read Sanskrit, you need to follow grammar based curriculum where you can understand the rules of sentence formation, how words are formed/joined together and rest of the details.

For being able to converse in Sanskrit, one needs to follow a curriculum that is more of an application of grammar. You don't study the grammar rules but study how they can be used in day to day life by speaking and practicing sentences of various types.
giocatoli
giocatoli's picture
one on one online class for learning devanagari script
Hello, I am a native English speaker, multilingual in Romance languages, but looking to learn Sanskrit, Hindi, and Nepali over the next few years.  Thus I would like some assistance from a native speaker who can help me with the devanagari alphabet first.  I don't see a specific place on this site with such a class, but it would appear that you might have someone who could help me with classes, and then transition into grammar.  Please let me know!

Thank you much, 
Joseph
Rahul
Rahul's picture
Hello Joseph,Open Pathshala
Hello Joseph,

Open Pathshala can help you with learning Devanagari script under the Live Class program. We can provide lessons of Devanagari script, Sanskrit as well as Hindi all from native tutors.

Feel free to enroll in the Live Class program and we can schedule customized lessons for you.